Sunday, January 24, 2010

Calcutta

Calcutta is a very interesting place. My friend warned me that I would see the poverty I have ever seen in Calcutta. I didn't believe him, since I've seen slums in Mumbai and Delhi. What he said was right though. It is very depressed area, despite 24+ years of Communist rule. There is little foreign investment and I have never seen as many people bathing and sleeping on the streets as I did there. I didn't take pictures out of respect, but trust me, it's bad.

What I can show you is the narrow alleyways in Calcutta that are kind of remiscent of Europe. But without the cleanliness and charm.
 
You gotta love the hammer and sickle in the iron fence. That's the communist party union office.
 
And just behind the union office? Mother Teresa's home and final resting place.
 
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: